Monday, January 26, 2009

Next, exploding DNA packs at the banks

I use gmail for my personal mail & actually tend to enjoy the sidebar ads. Yes, most are silly or uninteresting, but once in a while there are some odd or amusing ones. There are also some patterns -- email from my one brother often brings up inane creationist sites (which I click through to -- I figure I'd rather Google have their money than them), as we are often talking about chimps -- and that is clearly one of their buzzwords.

So here's a use for DNA that would have never occurred to me: tagging burglars with it. Or more importantly, threatening to tag them with it. All sorts of claims are made that the appearance of surveillance is nearly as useful as actual surveillance for deterring property crime, so I guess this is in that bucket.

Multiple SelectaDNA Spray heads can be fitted at the entry points of premises and on activation emit a burst of SelectaDNA solution onto the offenders. The solution contains a UV tracer and a unique DNA code, linking them irrefutably to the crime scene. The DNA Spray can be armed by a panic button and/or linked to an existing intruder alarm system. As the DNA fear-factor amongst criminals is high, it is likely that sprayed intruders will flee the crime scene before stealing any goods.


Will it work? Will some enterprising criminal start marketing DNase spray? When will it show up on CSI?

No comments: